In Golden Valley, Arizona, recently, they held something they call “Trumpstock,” a ragtag collection of those who consider Donald Trump to be their political savior.
Those who showed up for the event say they don’t appreciate the tags that get attached to them as supporters of a controversial president, the New York Times reports:
“They label us white nationalists, or white supremacists,” volunteered Guy Taiho Decker, who drove from California to attend the event. A right-wing protester, he has previously been arrested on charges of making terrorist threats.
“There’s no such thing as a white supremacist, just like there’s no such thing as a unicorn,” Mr. Decker said. “We’re patriots.”
But some of these so-called patriots are just a bit too eager to suggest they would do anything — even commit violence — to make sure that Trump remains in office, even if he happens to lose in 2020.
Take, for example, Mark Villalta, who admits he’s been stockpiling arms in case Trump isn’t reelected:
“Nothing less than a civil war would happen. I don’t believe in violence, but I’ll do what I got to do.”
Lose an election, start a civil war. That’s the way these Trump faithful see their duty to their leader. Sounds a bit like a cult, doesn’t it?
There was also plenty of racism and xenophobia on display at Trumpstock.
Angus Smith, an Arizona resident who attended the gathering, offered this bit of Trumpian wisdom:
“I don’t have a problem with Muslims, but can they take the rag off their head out of respect for our country?”
And then there’s Brian Talbert, the founder of Deplorable Pride, who had this to say about Hillary Clinton:
“I think she should be hanging at the end of a rope for treason.”
What these Trump acolytes seem to forget is that if indeed Trump does lose the 2020 election, their predicted “civil war” will be short-lived and end badly for them. The police and other law enforcement agencies who have sworn allegiance to the Constitution are not going to just let a bunch of yahoos decide who gets to be president.
The folks at Trumpstock have delusions of grandeur, much like the president they’ve sworn allegiance to. They think their 35 percent of the population can decide what happens to the other 65 percent. But they’re about to find out that their deeply flawed math isn’t worth a damn.